Frequently Asked Questions


Q:    What are the utilities lists under the purview of Ministry of Public Utilities?

A:   The utilities lists under the purview of the Ministry are Water Supply, Electricity Supply, Telecommunication Infrastructure and Gas Distribution.

Q:     How does a Rural Electrification Scheme (RES) project applicant know his/her application has been received and recorded by the Ministry?

A:     All RES project applications received by the Ministry will be recorded in the database and a feedback letter will be sent to the sender to inform him/her that the application has been received. 

Q:     Is the scope of RES project including internal wiring within the premises?

A:     No, internal wiring within the premises is out of RES project scope.

Q:      How can I apply or register as a Competent Person such as Wireman, Chargeman, Electrial Supervisor and Competent Electrical Engineer? 

A:     Application or registration as a Competent Person is encouraged to be made through the online services, eMINDS (EIU Main Information, Network and Database System). Alternatively, the application can be submitted to Electrical Inspectorate Unit (EIU) office.

Q:     If I wish to import electrical appliances, am I required any approval from the Ministry?

A:     Yes, all electrical appliances intended to be imported either for own use or sell to consumers are required to obtain approval from the Director of Electricity Supply. For further information or enquiries, kindly contact the Electrical Inspectorate Unit (EIU) office.

For any others enquiries, please contact the Ministry's office:

Ministry Of Public Utilities
2nd Floor, Wisma Sumber Alam,
Jalan Stadium, Petrajaya,
93050 Kuching,
Sarawak, Malaysia.

Tel : 082-440062 / 440063 / 440097 - General Line


Useful Links